Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Missionary Recommendations

We're enjoying our assignments in the Area Office. I process all the missionary recommendations for missionary candidates living in Central America before the recommendations are sent to Salt Lake.  On average we receive about 40-45 each week, down from their high at the beginning of the year.  The school year here ends about the beginning of  November, so these numbers should pick up again in the fall.  About 51% are young men and 49% are young women.  Each recommendation needs to be translated into English...and that is my job! And it turns out I have been blessed with the exact Spanish skills necessary, as I am much better at reading than either speaking or listening.  I also prepare the calls that arrive in their big, white envelops so they can be delivered to the future missionary.  Some of the things I like best about this assignment:
  • I love "birthday" candidates...the ones who put their birthday as their availability date, the very day they are old enough to serve.  These are mostly young women turning 19, as many young men are still in school when they become eligible.  I've also learned that in some countries they can't apply for their government ID until they are 18...something that is required for their recommendation packet, so that affects the young men.
  • I love names like Moroni, Heleman, Nephi, and Abinidi, because that tells me something about their family...that they were members of the Church before the child was born.
  • I love their willingness to give all they have for the Lord.  Many come from very humble circumstances, but are still willing to pay all they can for their mission expenses.  Sometimes they have been supporting their family, yet they are willing to give up their jobs to serve a mission.
  • I love seeing siblings submit their recommendations together, and I try to note where they are each sent a few weeks later when their calls come.  They often go to neighboring countries on the same date.
  • I love reading each recommendation, and I'm inspired by each future missionary's faithfulness.
It's a very happy task!